About Me

Friday, February 24, 2017

Benchmark Run

Another short run that didn't hurt my foot and left me feeling pretty good. It was coached, so I wasn't actually paying attention to my phone and I don't actually know how what my pacing was for each section of my run.

The scheduled run was called a benchmark run and my app is supposed to use it to measure my progress as I run. I'll be honest and admit that is the reason I didn't bother to check my phone. The app is tracking it and it felt great to run without checking my phone to make sure I was on pace.

It was a 7 minute warm up at a nice, easy pace, followed by a 3 minute "all-out" run that I was supposed to increase pace each additional minute, ending with a 5 minute cool down that could include walking (the voice coach actually encouraged it). All of this meant that my overall 15 minute run pace was a 12:51 pace. I walked a few times during my cool down and at one point I do know that I was going at a nice, slow 14:07 pace. I'm taking this as a sign that I was doing pretty good, speed wise, during my 3 minute all-out attempt.

It felt good. I was tired afterward, but I felt good. My foot wasn't hurting, though it did feel a little sore (there is a difference, as anyone who struggles with injuries knows well). When I got home I did chocolate milk and iced my foot for about 10 minutes. After my shower I also massaged it and stretched it out.

My foot is still doing really well and I'm pretty excited to see it healing. I'm still adjusting my view on focusing only on a finish for this upcoming race, since I was so determined to aim for a specific time. This was a good wake-up call for me. I ended up permanently injured because I didn't listen to my body. I need to remember that I am already at a disadvantage and I need to always be extra cautious and pay attention to all the little things my body is telling me. I knew better than to do what I did, but I was so focused on that time goal that I ignored myself and now I'm paying the price.

It'll be okay though, because every mistake is just a chance to learn a better way to do something. Does anyone out there have any hard won lessons they think is worth sharing?