About Me

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Getting back into training

I'm a horrible blogger. I know. I get it. The problem I was facing is that I want this to be a running blog (or something along those lines, I suppose) and I wasn't running. A bit of that was laziness over the last week or so, but before that it was due to other issues. I was injured (the ribs have healed nicely and there is finally no pain) and then I got sick. Then I got sick again and it just kind of stuck around. I don't know about anyone else out there, but I can't run when I can't breathe. So while I actually felt mostly fine, my sinuses were so blocked that breathing while sitting was feeling harder than breathing while sprinting.

I have my goal half marathon coming up in a few months (April 30th) and my training for that was supposed to start on February 6th. That didn't happen. It didn't happen on the 7th either, but I pulled it together enough to go running yesterday on February 8th.

The training plan called for 1-2 miles Tempo. I used an online calculator to take my 5k race time and give me paces for all the different training speeds (tempo, long run, etc.), so according to that, I was supposed to run yesterday at an 11:48 pace. I'll be honest: that scared me a little. I haven't ran in a LONG time. I got dressed and was fortunate enough to finally have a headband to keep my ears warm! My baby sister got it for me for Christmas (I have a little sister and a baby sister - they're 28 and 26, but since I'm 30 we're sticking with those titles), along with a fuel belt w/ water bottles, and some running socks. I digress.

I did 2 miles at 11:51. So, a few seconds slower than my goal, but close enough that I'm satisfied. I'll re-evaluate my paces in about a month or so, but for now I think that what I have will work for me. It was hard and I thought about giving in a few times. I'm so glad I didn't. I felt tired at the end, shaky and quite cold (it was 35 degrees last night), but I felt accomplished. It feels so good to have done this and I can't wait for my next one. I'm supposed to run 3-5 miles easy tonight (13:50-ish), so I'm looking forward to that.