About Me

Monday, February 13, 2017

Saturday Bummer Run, Monday 2-miler and a Sore Foot

My run on Saturday was supposed to be a 5-8 mile long run. It was also supposed to be around 60 degrees even in the morning. I borrowed a pair of my husband's shorts because I don't own any. I don't own any because I hate my thighs, but I am well aware that I get super hot when I run and I thought that I would brave exposing my thighs in exchange for feeling slightly cooler on my run.

Big Mistake.

It turns out that I have thighs. When you run with thighs, they rub. They chafe. I've never chafed before, but I've heard the horror stories. So when I realized that's what was happening at mile 3, I called it quits. I ran a 12:18 average pace. 12:21 for the first mile, 12:09 for the second and the third is when the thighs started screaming, so it was a 12:13.

I intended on going back out Saturday evening to run, after it had cooled down a bit (we got up to 89!), but life got in the way and that did not happen. So my 5 mile run turned into a 3 mile run, but life happens.

Sunday was normal, though I'm actually proud of how fast Acacia and I got up and got to church. We didn't get up until almost 9:10. I got dressed, ran out to grab breakfast for the hubby, and she and I managed to get to church just after 9:45. My foot started bothering me a bit, but I didn't think too much about it.

That brings us to this morning. This morning was a 1-3 mile run at race pace. My foot was bothering me, so I set a goal of 2 miles and told myself that if it hurts, I'll stop. I ran both miles mostly by feeling, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got done and realized that I'd completed 2 miles in 23:26. Mile was 1 11:53, mile 2 was 11:31, for an average of 11:43. I think that was a little fast for me and I'm not sure if I could have kept up that pacing for another mile, so I think I'll need to slow it down a bit next time.

My foot felt alright for most of the run, with just a couple twinges, but by the time I was home, it was painful. It's still painful, but I'm not too worried. There is no bruising and no major swelling. I wore flats to work today and I think that with some rest and NSAIDS I should be fine. Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest/cross training day or 3 miles easy. I'll play it by ear and probably do some strength training, but no running.

How is your running going? I've been focusing a lot on the idea of self-care this month and I know that running is a big part of that for me. I love running and even when I'm gasping for breath and my legs feel like they want to fall off, I love it.