About Me

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Trying New Training

It's been a while.

For a few days, walking was so painful I was concerned that my foot might be fractured. I'm stubborn however and don't like to go to the doctor, so I told myself to give it a couple days and if it wasn't getting better, I'd go. Luckily for me, it did start to get better. I do not advocate self diagnosis for others, but for me? I'm fine with it. Based on my symptoms (location and type of pain), I'm pretty sure I had a fun case of tendinitis. So I took a break. No moving around unless necessary.

After over a week, my foot was feeling much better and I decided to give running another go. My original training plan was not going to work though, so I started looking around to see what I could come up with. I ended up getting a plan from my run tracking app, Nike+ Run Club. I've talked about the app before (I am doing this of my own free will and am not being paid) and I really do love it. I like the training plan it provided me and it's starting me out nice and slow.

I did a 12 minute "comfortable" run last night. There was no pain during my run and I ran based on feeling without trying to meet any pace goals. I ran near my house, which meant there were hills. I used to hate hills, but I find that I really don't mind them as much anymore during training.

I did 0.98 miles last night in 12:02, which is a 12:12 pace. I'm surprised I went that fast honestly, since most of my run was uphill. It was a warm night at 69 degrees and the entire thing felt great. After my run, I iced my foot and drank chocolate milk.

I've really missed running, but this tendinitis has shown me something. I was so careful when training for my 5k about taking it slow to avoid injury, but I thought I could just come back from a month off and run 11 miles in a week. At 182 lbs, that really wasn't my smartest move. I'll be scaling it down and working my way back up slowly. I'm still determined to run 13.1 miles at the end of April, but I don't think I'll be actively chasing a sub-2:30. My goal is just to finish now, which is good enough for my first one.